Arrow Fastener PT50 Pneumatic Staple Gun
If you are a DIY enthusiast, the Arrow PT50 Pneumatic Staple Gun is just the ticket for you. Coming from a company that has been in the business of making stapling tools of all kinds and sizes since 1957, the Arrow PT50 is a tool crafted for people like you.
When you buy a staple gun for home use, what you need to focus on is its versatility. Unlike nails, staples can work on a wide range of surfaces and materials, from heavy fabrics to leather, plastic, wood and even construction materials like roofing. The pros will look at specialized equipment for each different job because, well, they are pros. For the DIY crowd, it makes more sense to get a compact and easy to wield staple gun capable of working with a wide variety of staples. There is also the safety factor to keep in mind since we are dealing with a power tool capable of driving sharp metal staples through very dense materials with incredible force! Let us see how the Arrow PT50 stacks up:
Form Factor: Weighing in at 3lbs and measuring 9.5×0.2 x 8 inches, this is an incredibly compact and lightweight staple gun.
Versatility: The PT50 can load and fire no less than SIX different sizes of staples of the T50 heavy duty variety. They include:
- 1/4 inch (6mm)
- 5/16 inch (8mm)
- 3/8 inch (10mm)
- 1/2 inch (12mm)
- 17/32 inch (13mm)
- 9/16 inch (14mm)
The more different types of staples a staple gun can load, the more practical that gun is.
Ease of Use: The Arrow Fastener PT50 uses an easy drop-in mechanism for staple loading. The whole process of loading is optimized for speed with a bottom loading magazine system. With an over-molded comfort grip, wielding this pneumatic gun for extended periods of time is simply a breeze. And just in case you are dealing with a particular job that involves hundred of staples, you can always speed up the process a few notches with the useful bump firing option.
Safety: Accidental firing is always a prime safety concern with many power tools, including nail guns and staple guns. In the PT50, this risk is effectively avoided with the built in contact safety feature, which prevents accidental firing of staples when not in use position. The adjustable exhaust cover further adds to the overall safety and reliability of this staple gun.
Power Source: As with pneumatic tools, the PT50 is also powered by compressed air. Since this is a staple gun designed primarily for home use, it will work perfectly with any affordable small air compressor rated up to a maximum of 120 PSI. Use clean dry compressed air, preferably between 60-100 PSI for best results. Just for your reference, at 120 PSI, you can easily drive staples into dense hardwood like oak and cherry.
The Arrow PT50 Pros and Cons
- Easy to wield and comfortable to use
- Thanks to its compact size and weight, it works well in tight spaces.
- Smooth and reliable operation with minimal jams, misfires or feeding troubles.
- The bump fire feature is very easy to use with the trigger.
- Includes replacement oil along with the product.
- The drive depth of the staples can be easily adjusted by adjusting the air pressure on the compressor.
- Solid build quality, with special praise for the packaging and plastic storage case.
- Excellent performance at a very affordable price.
- Though only a small niggle, people have found the loading system slightly confusing in the beginning (and only in the beginning)
Arrow PT50 Staple Gun: Common Uses
The PT50 is commonly employed by DIY enthusiasts in the following moderate/heavy duty projects:
- Re-upholstering anything from antique furniture to car interiors. Such projects work best at 90-110 PSI of power.
- One of the most effective when dealing with tough high-density PE fibers and sheeting, like Tyvek or Visqueen. Attaching these tough sheets of house-wrap can be a challenge, but the Arrow Fastener PT50 deals with them with ease.
- Very suitable for use with home insulation, especially when used in the bump firing mode. This pneumatic staple gun can make stapling fiberglass batts look easy.
- As for working with plastics, the PT50 also works flawlessly when used to fasten ATV seat covers to their plastic bases.
- The PT50 has also been used to install convertible tops on cars.
If you want a reliable, safe and easy to use staple gun for heavy-duty DIY projects like home insulation, re-upholstering or other minor building and auto repairs, the Arrow Fastener PT50 is a fantastic option at a really affordable price!